Friday, August 23, 2013

Words

Lewis has a favorite word...YELLOW!
 

Lewis loves that word because it is the name of his beloved and cherished color.
 
Words can evoke a range of emotions.
The word which has been causing a strong reaction from me lately is the F word.
When I was a youngster, the only people who uttered that word were "guys" and never in the presence of women and children. It was the ultimate profanity a human being could use and when it was used, the occasion that caused someone to actually say the F word was extreme.  Of course, that was some 60 years ago.
Times have changed...The F word is used by people of all ages and is heard on cable television and can be found in many modern movies, books, magazines, song lyrics, radio shows, and now is quite prevalent in social media.
 
I have been known to utter a "mild" swear word here and there, but have refrained from using the F word.  There is something about it that makes me inwardly flinch...I ask myself why that is...After all, a word is just a word.
 
Or is it?


2 comments:

  1. Oh my! I know what you mean. There are certain words, like the "F" bomb, that I detest! Makes me cringe to! They never seem to care that children may be present & hear them, etc.

    The worst for me is when people take the Lord's name in vain and use the name of Jesus like a curse word. It makes me so sad. :o(

    ReplyDelete