Friday, August 9, 2013

A FINE ROMANCE Comes to Hittyville

Beatrix Potter has just finished reading Susan Branch's new book, A FINE ROMANCE, which is about this remarkable author/artist's trip to England.
 

Beatrix loves her adopted village of Hittyville and the homestead and art studio she shares with Grandma Moses and Tasha Tudor...but Susan's book made her a bit homesick for the Lake District and her farms, which are now part of the National Trust.
 

Grandma Moses has always wanted to paint a Lake District landscape.
 

Tasha Tudor adores Corgis and asks if the beloved dogs of Queen Elizabeth are mentioned in the book.
Beatrix happily responds, "Indeed they are!"
 
Later at the Hittyville Arts and Crafts Studio...
Grandma Moses has also read A FINE ROMANCE and declares Susan's husband, Joe, is the handsomest man she has ever seen...especially with that jaunty beret.
 
 
Tasha Tudor cannot wait to read what is obviously the most interesting of books!
 

Beatrix Potter wonders...
 
 The next day...
 Beatrix cannot stop thinking about England and the Lake District and all the wonderful places Susan Branch wrote about and so beautifully illustrated in her book.
 
 
Beatrix would really like her own flock of Herdwick Sheep grazing in Hittyville and the best place to find them is...England!
 
Susan Branch was moved by Mark Twain's words which are included in A FINE ROMANCE...
 
Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed in the things you didn't do than by the ones you did.
Sail away from the safe harbor.
Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore.
Dream.
Discover.
 
Beatrix Potter wholeheartedly shares Susan's sentiments.
 
~To definitely be continued~


7 comments:

  1. Three of my favorite authors! They had to be three of the sweetest ladies on earth. So wonderful that you have them immortalized in polymer clay!

    I hope Beatrix Potter will get her flock of sheep.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad I had Paulette make the magnificent three for me before her "retirement" from custom dolls! I hope Beatrix Potter gets her flock as well! :-)

      Delete
  2. Vicki, just found you through your comment on Susan Branch's latest post, and had to make my own comment ... what a delightful blog post you've shared! I suggest you post a pic onto the F.O.S.B. Facebook page; I'm sure all the 'girlfriends' would enjoy it as well. Such cuteness!

    Sharon in Alabama

    ReplyDelete
  3. Vicki, just found you through your comment on Susan Branch's latest post, and had to make my own comment ... what a delightful blog post you've shared! I suggest you post a pic onto the F.O.S.B. Facebook page; I'm sure all the 'girlfriends' would enjoy it as well. Such cuteness!

    Sharon in Alabama

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, dear Sharon! I appreciate your kind words and will post something on the page...It is nice to hear from a fellow girlfriend!

      Delete
  4. I checked the book at Amazon.ca but it doesn't have a publication date until September here in Canada. It's expensive too, yikes. Looks good though.

    I knew nothing about Tasha Tudor until I saw an hour-long documentary on her some years ago. She seems like the sort of gifted person who inspired many. And years ago I read a marvelous bio of Beatrix Potter--I believe I had one of her bunny plates when I was very young, but I never read the books. However, there was a store called Mr. Gameways Ark in Toronto and when it opened up in the late 70s or early 80s they had an imported stuffed likeness of Mrs. Tiggy Winkle that was about 12 to 15 inches tall--I desperately wanted it, but it was $200 which is $550 dollars in today's money.

    And Grandma Moses is just inspiring for those of us who want to create art in our older years. Very neat dolls Vicki. Imagine you even thinking to have these ladies recreated as dolls!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been so inspired by artists throughout my life...and these three especially touched my artistic soul. I was very fortunate to meet Tasha Tudor and what a thrill that was!

      Delete