Friday, August 9, 2013

This Life

Today at Lyn-Way, I ran into a very old friend from the Malabar Farm Spinning and Weaving Guild. We made eye contact, but I could tell she didn't recognize me.
After I finished my lunch, I made my way to the table she was sharing with five other ladies.
I said hello and waited for a response...My Malabar friend cleared her throat and told me she was sorry, but I would have to introduce myself.  She did NOT recognize me.  As it turns out, she is in the beginning stages of what I assume to be Alzheimer's.  My friend explained she was on a journey and for now she is okay, but names elude her as well as spaces of time.
I don't know that she really figured out who I was, but her amazing positive spirit was very evident.
 
I returned to my table and just sat...and sat.
Brooke asked if everything was alright and I told her "no".
 
Joe and I have been talking about taking the trip of a lifetime.
I think we should do more than talk about it.


6 comments:

  1. Life is too short for planning and talking. More DO-ING! That's my vote. I am so sad for your friend, but what an amazing gift she gave you with her presence and her spirit, encouraging you to go take your trip of a lifetime. Do eeeet! Tell Joe a pixie told you to. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ever since my leukemia diagnosis FORTY years ago, I have pretty much followed the philosophy of DO-ING...but I think I needed a bit of a kick in the pants for this adventure! Joe will totally believe me when I tell him about my pixie!
      Thank you...

      Delete
  2. Awwww! Yes, you should take that trip, while you are young enough to remember it and enjoy it. We are not promised tomorrow, my dear friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We most certainly weren't promised tomorrow, dear Carolyn...It is all about living in the present. Thank you for your encouragement~~~

      Delete
  3. Indeed Vicki, all good advice. My parents always talked about various trips but now my Mum has Alzheimers it just isn't going to happen and I feel sorry for my Dad in particular (as it now doesn't bother Mum) but he is going to miss out, but also have the daily struggle of seeing my Mum deteriorate like she is. So sad. I say if you can do it DO IT!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Lorraine, I am so sorry about your Mum! It must be hard on your entire family, but especially your dad! I know you took a dream trip to the States yourself! Thank you for cheering me on...

      Delete