Wednesday, August 21, 2013

The Dawn of Realization

Don't you just love it when scattered thoughts all come together and suddenly make perfect sense?
That's exactly what happened to me when I noticed the early morning sun "pouring" its beautiful light into my teacup!
 

I have spent the last month watching Brooke and Noah ready their classrooms in anticipation of another school year.  For over 38 years, I prepared my own classrooms and loved every minute of it.  Maybe that is why I felt the need to join Program 60 at OSU and create a fall schedule.
But then...I started thinking about my "classrooms" of today...my studios!
 

I have TONS of wonderful projects to work on...
 
 
The only classroom I really want to be in is this one...and I have lots of preparing to do!
 

I think it was definitely meant to be I was bumped from my classes...
Those two full days away from home would seriously have cut into my painting time!
 

After looking through my textbooks, I did return them to the OSU bookstore yesterday.
I found my own Children's Literature book and a Cultural Anthropology book of sorts much more interesting than the EXPENSIVE textbooks assigned to my classes.
 

And speaking of Children's Literature, I think I need to go through ALL the children's books I do have and catalog them.
This is just one of the MANY bookshelves in our home.
 
 
And as for that rughooking class I was going to take...I discovered my allergy to wool is still a problem...and then there are my own unfinished hooking projects I am doing with blended yarns.
I discovered I don't want to be tied down to a scheduled time to hook.
 

I think I may have been trying to recreate past experiences, when in reality, the present is where my heart and soul are most happy...
But I am glad I got a pair of saddle shoes out of the adventure.
 

As I watched the sunrise on this peaceful morning, I felt my own sense of purpose and joy return.
What I was looking for always right here...on our blessed farm.
 
~Life is good~


9 comments:

  1. Sometimes you have to work through trying to recapture things from the past and sift out what's really important to you.

    A couple of things I wanted to mention (OH BOY let's talk about books!)

    Humphrey Carpenter, the co-author of the Oxford Companion to Children's Literature wrote a great bio of J.R.R. Tokien.

    On the cover of your book is an illustration by Edmund Dulac a 19th century illustrator I like. This one is from Cinderella. I have a Dover book "Dulac's Fairy Tale Illustration in Full Colour"

    I bought the rather gruesome original (unedited) Grimm's fairy tales when I was on a fairy tale exploration due to a card deck.

    I also bought "The Oxford Companion to Fairy Tales" and a neat book called "From Instruction to Delight: An Anthology of Children's Literature to 1850"

    And dear old Jacob Bronowski had a wonderful 13-part television series of The Ascent of Man back in the 1970s.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Ascent_of_Man

    I used to watch it when I was a teenager as well as Civilisation with Kenneth Clark which I now have on DVD. You can buy the Ascent of Man on DVD for $72 on Amazon.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are such a wealth of information, Judy!!! I do remember watching Bronowski's series years ago and was inspired to read the book...which I will finally do!
      I tried to leave a comment on your blog entry about Personal Geographies...I love the idea and I also LOVE the way you write...You are so gifted!

      Delete
    2. Perhaps we should have our own little book club discussing these books?

      Delete
  2. Exactly! Sometimes we need these little reminders ;-) and you do have a LOT of projects to do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really do and now that Brooke is back in school, I hope to find more time for them...I know you totally understand.

      Delete
  3. Dear Vicki, I am so happy that things are better in your world. You are one of the busiest people I know, and better yet, you always enjoy whatever adventure you happen to be on. It's wonderful to receive a message with such clarity. Clearly the sunshine pouring down into your teacup was no accident. :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, dear Carolyn! Yes, I agree...the sunshine in my teacup was no accident~~
      Hope all is well in your world. :-)

      Delete
  4. Vicki, I think to comment on WordPress blogs you either have to have a WordPress blog OR use your Facebook account. I know you have a Facebook account so if you sign in there and then comment it should go through. I have two other friends that do that.

    ReplyDelete