Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Yet ANOTHER Discovery

Today's reading in The Book of Awakenings was about the importance of breaking out of a shell...emotionally, physically, spiritually...in order to grow.
Mark Nepo cited Taaroa...the supreme creator god in the mythology of French Polynesia as one who ultimately did this in the creation of all.
 I loved the symbolism of Taaroa and wanted to learn more.
I noticed Nepo's spelling of Taaroa was Taaora...and I couldn't find that it was spelled both ways anywhere...so I am going with the spelling that was consistent on the internet, which is Taaroa.


Wikipedia offered this short explanation.
I need to dig deeper.


And then...who else was intrigued with this mythical god?


Picasso, of course!  Why was I not surprised?  On the right is his sculpture of Taaroa.


There is even a connection to Taaroa in Hittyville!  Maori mythology had an equivalent god named Tangaroa!
My Maori family was so generously given to me by Lorraine, my friend who hails from New Zealand, which is where the Maori people emigrated to from Polynesia generations ago.

WOW!  I love it when this happens!  Now...I can't wait to get started on some kind of Taaroa Art Piece!

2 comments:

  1. Oh how wonderful that you can tie in your little Maori family...I did wonder if you would when I first started reading this post. So good to see their happy little faces. What do they think of the snow though?!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are so grateful there is no snow in their part of Hittyville!

      Delete