Monday, October 7, 2013

One Thing Leads to Another

The Happiness Project author encourages her readers to add something fun to their daily routine.  I have wanted to start collecting quotes in a notebook forever and decided to add that to my fun list.  Yes, to me...this is fun!
 

It's a beginning.
 
And then...
Years ago, when I was in the 6th grade, our big end of the 6 week grading period project was to assemble a collection of poems.  My mother bought May Hill Arbuthnot's "Time For Poetry" for me the day before the assignment was due.  Better late than never, right?
 

I was so taken with the poems, that by the time I copied my favorites onto paper and of course, illustrated them as best I could, it was well past midnight.  I had never stayed up so late.
My mother was shocked to find her young daughter hard at work at such an hour.  She thought I had gone to bed when she did.
I was so proud of that project and beyond thrilled to receive an A+!
 

As part of my own Happiness Project...in addition to starting a Quote Notebook...I decided to copy a favorite poem into my new Poetry Notebook once a day.  I immediately reached for my old beloved poetry book and discovered a poem I don't remember reading...Mrs. Brown.
I LOVED it!  I was Mrs. Brown when I was a little girl!
Who was this poet, Rose Fyleman, who understood my childhood dreams?
 

Rose Fyleman was an English poet and writer who lived from 1877-1957.  Rose wrote the most wonderful fairy tales...happy ones!
 
 
I have decided to make the study of Rose's work part of my Happiness Project!  I have found some biographical information and lists of her body of work.
I have also downloaded a modest chunk of her stories and poems and will be looking for more!  I am so excited about this...I want to know Rose Fyleman as well as I can!
 

I would have loved reading Rose's poems and stories as a youngster, but discovering her during this part of my journey is sweeter than honey!
 
~To definitely be continued~


2 comments:

  1. I'm glad you are finding ways to record your happy moments. I need to try something like that. I have written poetry since I was a young girl. I rarely write anymore. I need to change that. You inspire so many others, dear Vicki!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even if you just write a couple lines a day! :-)

      Delete