Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Heartbroken

Many years ago, a dear friend introduced me to the works of Father John Powell. His inspiring words helped me through some dark times as I underwent chemotherapy for my leukemia.  It mattered not that I didn't share Father Powell's Catholic faith because his words spoke to the heart of every human being, no matter what path they chose to follow.
And then, today, I came across a quote of his and copied it into my Quote Journal.  I wondered what ever happened to Father Powell and proceeded to Google him.  I wish I hadn't.  It seems my beloved author sexually assaulted at least 7 young women decades ago and although wasn't criminally charged, did admit "helping" the women with their sexual awakening.  It appears the matters were settled out of court.  I bet they were.
So now what?  Are the late Father Powell's words meaningless because of his obvious emotional problems and unspeakable behavior...so contrary to what he preached?  Is it possible a beautiful message can be delivered by a very flawed messenger and still have some sense of validity?

Oh...the quote I discovered today...

The only real mistake
Is the one from which we
Learn nothing.
Father John Powell

I wonder if he ever did learn anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment