Thursday, January 9, 2014

The Visit

I woke up this morning feeling a bit sad and very melancholy...
 

I was missing my childhood something fierce and I think it was triggered by the picture Missy put on Facebook of herself when she was little.
I remember the day that picture was taken and I just wanted to go back in time and relive those precious times...
 
And so I did...in a Hittyville kind of way.
I visited my Grandma Elliott and remembered our tea parties.
 

My Oma and Opa always spent their winters in Ft. Lauderdale and for a moment, on this cold day, I joined them.
 

Ah...this was the hard part!  Seeing myself in the Elliott Homestead made me want to stay there forever.  My childhood was Paradise.
 

I so loved my play area...That Davy Crockett cabin was the best!
  

I remembered Cassi and our neighbor, Charlie, playing outside until dark.
We all had such fun!
 

Johnny spent hours playing around our waterfall.
If only I could climb up the rocks with him today. 
 

Kate and Missy often transformed their swingset into a spaceship and their creativity knew no bounds.
They were the sweetest of little sisters.
 

My mom...always taking care of us.  How I wish I could thank her for all she gave up to raise our family...
 

I think I am missing my dad the most of all.  He taught me to believe wishing wells really did grant my wishes and then there were the Gnomes...
Oh, Dad.
 
And then the present called out to me...
This is where I live now and who I belong to.
The past has brought me to the present...as it should.
 

I can't imagine my life without Joe, Brooke, Noah, Amy, and of course Abe!
I think I needed a visit to my past to remind me how fortunate I am today.
My family...those departed and those all grown-up will always be a part of the fabric of my life.
 
Always...


2 comments:

  1. I finally sat down and had a chance to REALLY read this entry. We are so fortunate we had such a great childhood to look back on and miss those days and the people who made them what they were. We learned well and can now carry the torch with our own families. It is the simplest of moments that are usually the most memorable. I LOVE THE NEW ABE DOLL!
    Kinderhaus Forever xoxox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those really were such special days...and you are right...It is our turn to carry the torch! :-)

      Delete