Thursday, January 23, 2014

Catching Up With My Teaching Buddies

Yesterday, I had lunch with two dear "old" friends, Lori and Susan.  Lori was one of our preschool parents many years ago and became not only a friend, but part of our teaching team.  Susan and I taught together for 15 years and I couldn't have asked for a better partner.
It seems a bit strange to think we saw each other almost every day and shared our daily adventures, personally and professionally, and now we may get together once or twice a year for a couple of hours to catch up...
We are all happy and fulfilled in our current "seasons" of life and for that I am so grateful.  Susan said something that really spoke to my heart.  When I nostalgically reminisced about our teaching days, she commented on how she enjoyed that time, but she loves her current job and her new marriage is a dream come true.  Lori pretty much echoed her sentiments by agreeing this is a great time for her as well.  All three of her children are in college and she and her husband are enjoying one another and having adventures of their own.
And then I thought about my own journey and how much I love my time at home creating art and stories, and being a grandmother...
It's not about going back.  It's about moving forward.  When I love a season of my life, it is sometimes hard to let go...and then I remember...We are supposed to change seasons, to experience all kinds of adventures.  The past is part of who we are and will always be with us.  Would I want to go back?  That isn't even a question I should be asking myself.  That is not the way life works.
It is all about today and making it be the best day it can be.
And yesterday was a great day, because I shared part of it with two friends who will always be special to me...no matter what the season of my life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment