Wednesday, December 4, 2013

The Amazing Sally Rickel

One of my dearest old "art" friends passed away on Sunday at the age of 77 and when I heard the news this morning, all I could think was God sure will have His hands full keeping that lady busy!
When we first moved to this area 23 years ago, Sally was one of the first people I met.  This hugely talented woman was starting a Spinning and Weaving Guild at Malabar Farm and asked me to be part of the adventure.  I was thrilled and spent 3 years very involved with the group.  I then started teaching full-time and evenings and weekends were devoted to Brooke and Noah...so the Guild took a backseat.
I did reconnect with Sally during my rug hooking days and we would run into each other now and then, but we shared a great affection for one another.
I remember she brought me a long-stitch embroidery kit back from Australia where she and her equally talented husband, Stan, visited her sister some years ago.
Sally was a teacher and enjoyed demonstrating arts and crafts from the pioneer days. That lady could spin some yarn...in more ways than one!
Every one of Sally's days read like a full dance card and she loved living her life to the fullest.
Brooke and I saw Sally last summer at Lyn-Way and she apologized for not remembering us.  She told me...in her typical no-nonsense Sally way...she was having some problems, but dismissed any sympathetic words before I could utter them.
I am a better person and artist for having known Sally Rickel.
She definitely has her own piece in my life's puzzle board.

No comments:

Post a Comment