Friday, October 17, 2014

Miss Hickory's "Roots"

 One of our Lyn-Way friends was telling us about the hickory nut cakes his mother made for him years ago.  My daughter, Brooke, was curious about what a hickory nut looked like in its shell.
The hickory nut comes from various hickory trees.


 Last night, our friend gave us some hickory nuts to keep...in and out of their shells.


 I am VERY familiar with the hickory nut because of the Newberry Award winner book, "Miss Hickory" by Carolyn Sherwin Bailey.
I LOVE this book!


 In fact, Hittyville has their very own Miss Hickory and her friend, Crow...also a character in the book.
Miss Hickory was one of the founders of Hittyville.  She has lived along the banks of Meadow Creek for as long as she and anyone else can remember.


Miss Hickory is pleased to announce her younger sister, Carolyn Hickory, has just moved to Hittyville and will be sharing her homestead.
Miss Hickory was carved by Judy Brown and she has a real hickory nut head.  Carolyn Hickory was created by my dear friend, Paulette Morrissey.

I think I will attempt to make my own Miss Hickory from one of the nuts our friend gave us.

~Our Lyn-Way friends are the best~ 

No comments:

Post a Comment